Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Thought 109: About happiness and unhappiness


There is a lot of unhappiness in this world - that is for sure. People seem to be strangely courting unhappiness and not happiness. I started looking a little more closely into this hypothesis, some years ago.

I found that most people go through life in bewilderment. They really do not seem to know what they want. They have no idea why they are doing what they are doing. They lack the direction and purpose - not because they do not like direction and purpose, but mostly because, they never thought about them. Even if they think about them, they probably would not know how to proceed further. They "run" their lives - not manage them.

I lived in a certain segment of history and my children are going to live mostly in a different segment. My views and experiences were the products of the period of history and society known to me. The economic conditions, the political scenario, the educational system, the culture, the traditions and moral values to which I was exposed, determined the forces and compulsions, which made me what I am. The next generation will be exposed to a different set of forces altogether; the advances in systems and technology in their life times may impose compulsions of a totally different nature on them. My experience and views, when extrapolated into their segment of history, may or may not still retain their validity and relevance. I believe that relevance takes precedence over continuity (tradition).

A person has several interests in his life - social, intellectual, emotional and moral pursuits - in the physical plane. When he is satisfied by his experiences in the physical dimension, he looks for satisfaction in the higher dimension - what Maslow calls "self actualization". Until this happens, the human being will continue to explore the physical dimension of his existence – for more and more satisfaction.

The next thought is “About happiness (continued)”

No comments: